- Season: November to April
- Province: Alberta
- Accommodation: Staff accommodation provided
- Age: 18 +
- Jobs: Snow Making, Lift Operations, Retail, Rental, Guest Services, Food & Beverage
- Nations Eligible To Apply: Australia, New Zealand (Canadian working holiday visa required)
- Interview Locations: Australia
Working At Nakiska
Nakiska is nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rockies in beautiful Kananaskis Country, only 45 minutes from the vibrant city of Calgary. Nakiska was home to the Calgary ’88 Olympic Alpine events, and today, skiers and riders enjoy Olympic-length runs that are groomed to perfection. Nakiska is a family-friendly resort. A confident beginner’s area with friendly ski school staff means the kids can enjoy lessons for the day while you explore Nakiska’s challenging upper mountain.
At the end of your ski day, pamper yourself at one of the hotels in Kananaskis Village, only five minutes away from Nakiska. Soak tired muscles in the jacuzzi, curl up next to the fireplace with a book, or indulge in fabulous food! Lifts are just steps away from the full-service day lodge.
- Calgary’s the closest mountain
- Located just 45 minutes west of Calgary
- Canada’s Olympic Mountain – Host of the 1988 Winter Olympic Games
- Wide-open, corduroy-groomed runs
- World-class dining, accommodation and spas in Kananaskis Village, including the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis
- A great variety of learn-to-ski programs for both children and adults
- Official Alpine Canada National Training Centre
Nakiska is looking for motivated staff, wanting to use their high level of customer service and personal skills to provide a welcoming feeling to resort guests. Most of all, Nakiska wants their employees to enjoy what the Canadian Rockies have to offer and to enjoy the season of a lifetime.
If you are looking to gain experience in different areas, Nakiska is happy to help you with that. Many of our employees participate in the CSIA or the CASI instructors’ courses over the season, gaining teaching certifications in skiing and snowboarding. If you are building your resume and would like to try out different responsibilities while you are here, let management know and we will do everything we can to make that opportunity a possibility for you.
All applicants need to be 19 years of age. Don’t forget that friendly and enthusiastic customer service is a fundamental part of Nakiska’s success, and your attitude to customer service will be the determining factor in your future with us. Training is provided for all roles but some positions may require previous experience.
Some of the jobs available are:
- Day Care Attendant
- Lift Attendants
- Guest Services / Ticketing
- Rental / Retail Attendants
- Food & Beverage Cashier
- Kitchen Assistant
- Grill Cook
- Deli Attendant
- Kids Den Master – for Australians & Kiwis applying for any day-care roles, in addition to your application for a working holiday visa, you will also be required to have a medical
Nakiska Ski Resort is proud to offer the best staff housing in the ski industry in Western Canada. Our employees live in Manor 88, the housing facility that was built for the visiting athletes of the 1988 Olympics. Staff accommodation is located in the Kananaskis Valley. The majority of entry-level housing is located at Manor 88 in the Kananaskis Village (approximately four kilometres from the ski hill). You will be assigned your personal room, which is locked for your safety and convenience.
Each floor has approximately ten rooms. You will be required to share your bathroom with one other person next door to your room. Each floor has access to a community kitchen and community living area. There are telephone / Internet lines available, and you are required to contact the phone company to set up packages and billing. The cost of housing in Manor 88 is approximate $8.50 per day, which will be deducted automatically from your pay cheque every two weeks.
If you are placed on our other rental properties, rent may be a little higher. You will be required to pay a damage deposit of $100 that will be returned to you upon departure, provided there are no damages. Nakiska has housing in other locations around Kananaskis approximately 15 kilometres from the ski hill.
Nakiska Ski Resort is one of the smaller resorts in the RCR line up. As an employee of Nakiska, you enjoy the benefits of the care and attention that you receive in a smaller location, combined with the benefits, such as skiing and widespread discounts. Nakiska employees, like all other RCR employees, enjoy a variety of discounts at all RCR resorts.
That’s right – show your staff identification at any of the four Western Canadian Resorts and you will receive great discounts on:
- Gear rentals
- Subsidised accommodation
- Staff parties and events
- Season ski pass
- Nakiska Ski Resort staff receive a season pass, accepted at any of the RCR owned resorts (Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, Fernie, Kimberley Ski Field) in addition to several ski resorts in Western Canada with whom we have reciprocal agreements with. Some employees have skied at over ten ski resorts in Western Canada for free during their winter employment at Nakiska.